Monday, October 1, 2012

Simon's future..

Now that your up to date on the summer of horse show events, its about time we start to talk about that horse I actually own!:p Simon has been doing very well! The chiropractor is extreamly happy with him on the glucosamine. He Started working with some "bands", given to us by the chiropractor. One goes around his belly. About 12 inches behind the girth. And the second attaches to his girth and goes around the same area the long line would, and attaches on the other side of the girth. This is to encourage him to lift his back, use his butt, and inturn creating less discomfort and more muscle in the propper area's. For a few weeks Simon was lunging with the bands and then I began riding him in them. I can say I saw a HUGE difference with them on while lunging and a small difference while riding. The whole thing has improved his muscle tone though and he is now moving more propper. With time and strength we will be able to fine tune his flat work and make sure he is entierly using himself 100% of the time! The day after returning from state fair Simon decided to welcome me home with a sizeable gash in his neck that required stiches and a week on stall rest.. THANKS SIOMN..... This was probably almost 4 weeks back. He has healed beautifuly and is right back to where we were before the cut!

Darn horse! I forgot to mention, the vet said we were very lucky to have found him standing in the pasture! With the placement of the cut he was near the jugular(sp) and a major vein that runs to the brain... Good job Simon!
I have also been taking consistent lesson on  him! Which makes me so happy! To think this time last year I was scratching my head saying why on earth is this horse hopping and now were doing lessons and actually getting somewhere in his training! I must admit that his grummpyness hasn't entierly went away. He will move forward and has a half plesent look on his face half of the time but the other half is still ears pinned and cranky. This leads me to our latest thought. On friday I had a lesson and we were working alot on cantering and balancing him out at the canter. My Coach and I were discussion teeth (not quite sure how we got on that subject!) and it came to my rememberance that the last time Simon had his teeth done, Over a year ago, the dentist had said "Be on the look out for his wolf teeth to be coming in." DUHHH! We just had a case of this at the farm where I work... A horse had a peice of his wolf tooth leftover from a poor dentist and the horse started stopping at fences, being cranky, and throwing up his head through transitions! I'm hoping, well half hoping, that this is our problem! We have a call into our dentist to have Simon's teeth done but in the mean time I'm going to try riding today in a halter and lead. Tomorrow I have a friend bringing me a Hackamore to try out! I'm ver anxious to see how he goes in it! As for Hackamore's maybe someone could give me some more info on them! I don't know much a bout the differnt types of hackamores/bitlessbridles other than.. they have no bit:p

So thats the news on Simon. Our lesson have been going great and he is a very fast learner! I'm excited to get him out on some "adventures" off property soon! 

I will try (I know i've said this before.. but I mean it this time) to be more dilligant about the updates!
Until then Happy Riding!:)


OHHHH PS: AFLEET HAS A NEW OWNER :D I'm happy to say that Afleet has been sold to a girl within our barn! I'm pleased that he won't be leaving us and i'm going to be giving his new owner some "tips/lessons" on how to ride him! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment